Saturday, September 4, 2010

Supermarket





The grocery store

I went grocery shopping this morning and decided it would make an interesting blog post for all you out there. This is what I usually buy to last me through the work week, with a few extras.

I usually try to spend about 4000 yen. That is around $50. If it seems like a lot of money for a weeks worth of food, well you're right. But, as you can see, most of the items I bought are labeled CO-OP which is the store brand or the generic. It tastes fine to me. You must remember that I am on an island, and food is expensive. It is by far the biggest expense I have here. But, I would venture to say, that a similar shopping trip in the US would be about $35. But, I would also venture to say, that the overall quality and freshness of the food here is astounding. While y’all back home would worried about salmonella in eggs, I was cracking raw eggs onto my rice and curry dishes.

Mmmm. Raw egg.

Let’s go through the items:

4 yogurts, fig flavor. Trying finding that in the US

4 English muffins

2 bunches of the best mushrooms on earth

A package of ready to cook gyoza (pot stickers)

4 cup of noodles, which I alternate with salads as side dish for lunch at work.

1 carton of 100% grapefruit juice

1 carton of whole milk for coffee

1 six pack of 500ml cans of beer

8 slices of squishy white bread

Bunch of spinach

2 half sections of iceberg lettuce

2 onions

1 carton of 10 (!) eggs

Some type of Italian style lunch meat

Some other type of lunch meat from an unknown animal

One package of cheese product

If you can’t tell, I usually eat a lot of omelets, gyoza, sandwiches and well…that’s about it. I am still exploring the supermarket; a lot of things have so much packaging that it is hard to tell what they actually contain.

Usually, some time later in the week I will pick up some broccoli, cabbage, and seasoned beef and make some stir fry. Dump that over some brown rice and crack an egg over the top and your are in heaven! I think that’s what ill eat tonight….

BONUS!! BONUS!! BONUS!! BONUS!!

I climbed Mt Shinobu again the other day and took some night photos of Fukushima…Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. It is so much fun to read your blogs, Uri. You have a strong editorial voice with a unique flare and hearing about (read: stalking) all of your misadventures definitely makes me want to do some living abroad.

    I will make sure to send you 'find the perfect bike' vibes as often as possible!

    ReplyDelete